All wine isn’t vegan? But isn’t wine made from grapes?
There’s many questions surrounding our new favorite holiday drink, vegan wine. But don’t worry! We’re here to answer all of them so you can take a bottle to your holiday party for everyone to enjoy!
What makes wine vegan?
A wine is vegan when it does not contain any animal-derived ingredients or dairy products.
But wine is made from a fruit, so why are most not vegan?
According to Winefolly.com:
“Most wines are clarified during winemaking with a process called “fining” which most frequently employs the use of animal-based products such as casein (a protein from milk) or egg whites. If wines aren’t fined, most would look hazy. This is where the casein and egg-whites come in. The fining agents “glomb” onto the proteins dissolved in the wine and cause them to precipitate out and collect at the bottom of the tank. The result is a crystal clear wine.”
The most common fining agents include:
- gelatin (animal protein)
- casein (a milk protein)
- albumin (animal protein)
- isinglass (fish bladder protein)
I’m not vegan, why should I drink vegan wine?
There are many reasons people choose to go vegan or adopt vegan practices. Here’s the Vegan Society’s top three (in no order):
- The production of meat and other animal products is one of the leading causes of many environmental strains and issues (CO2 emissions, deforestation, species extinction, habitat loss, water waste, methane emissions).
- Vegan diets are “low in saturated fat, high in fibre and packed with antioxidants, helping mitigate some of the modern world’s biggest health issues like obesity, heart disease, diabetes and cancer.”
- “Avoiding animal products is one of the most obvious ways you can take a stand against animal cruelty and animal exploitation.”
But how do I know if a wine is vegan?
The back of the bottle will typically say something like “Vegan approved” or “Suitable for Vegans.” It can be difficult to find vegan wines, so if you’re unsure, err on the side of caution and assume the wine is not vegan.
So now you’re probably thinking, “If it’s difficult to find vegan wine, then how in the world am I going to find any?”
Don’t fret! We went vegan wine hunting for you and found some awesome brands! Check them out:
- The Vegan Vine
- Stellar Organics
- Live A Little
- Orleans Hill
- Our Daily Red
- Our Daily Cab
- Well Read (suggested by TruTriber Lara Whitten)
Can’t find any of these? Check if your alcohol (wine, beer, and liquor!) is vegan here.