[/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_text_separator title=”INGREDIENTS” title_align=”separator_align_left” color=”grey” style=”dotted”][/vc_column][/vc_row][vc_row][vc_column width=”1/1″][vc_column_text]For the Tofurky
- 5 14-oz. tubs extra-firm tofu
- 2 tsp. ground dried thyme
- 2 tsp. rubbed sage
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- about 1 tsp orange zest (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste ( if you want to use vegan bouillon powder, skip the salt)
For the Marinade
- 1/4 -1/2 cups low sodium tamari or gluten free soy sauce
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp orange juice
- 1/2 tsp sesame oil
- Bring the tofu to room temperature. Squeeze tofu of excess water. Take small bits and place them in a processor and process them little by little until smooth.
- Mix in all the seasoning while the tofu is still in the processor. At this point, you can taste the tofu and add more seasoning or flavor. Season as desired. Feel free to add or subtract seasoning for desired taste.
- Wet a cheesecloth, wring it out and smoothly line a colander with it—no wrinkles.
- Drop the tofu inside the colander and press it into the sides and bottom of the colander.
- Place this colander on a plate. Bring the hanging cheesecloth on the sides into the center to cover the tofu.
- Place a plate right on top of the tofu and give it a slight press. Use a heavy object to place on top of the plate. This is to help the tofu drain excess water through the colander. Place this inside the refrigerator overnight (ideal time). This also helps the tofu to absorb the seasoning well.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Drain the Tofu water from the plate on which you placed the colander.
- Remove weight and plate from colander.
- Scoop some tofu from the center, making sure to leave at least 1-2 inches on the sides and bottom. Fill with stuffing (we used pre-packaged stuffing from Whole Foods).
- Top the stuffing with the scooped out tofu. Make sure to smooth the surface and level it out.
- Cover the colander. Use a plate large enough to cover the colander opening (we used a pie plate).
- Hold tightly, and slowly invert colander onto the plate so that tofurky drops gently onto dish.
- Now slowly remove the cheesecloth from the tofu and baste the tofurky with the prepared marinade.
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Baste again. reduce the heat to 350F and bake for another 1 hour, basting as many times it strikes your fancy.